Children, cooking, marriage, random stuff, funny stuff, photography, dogs, cats, depression... Whatever you're looking for, you might find it here! The modern 5 and dime.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Veteran's Day

In years past, even though my grandfather and many of my relatives were veterans of wars, I never observed Veteran's Day. I never lived in a place with a significant military population, I hadn't yet worked on a military base where it is hard to ignore the realities of war.

This weekend for Veteran's Day, we drove out to Point Loma. We drove past the military cemetery where my great uncle and my great aunt (my namesake, even) are buried. There was a parade, but it was not heavily advertised and I didn't even know about it until I saw it on TV.

We went to the Lighthouse on the very tip of Point Loma, which is a national park- Cabrillo National Monument. The Old Point Loma Lighthouse hasn't been used in over a century, but it is still beautiful to behold. The New Point Loma Lighthouse is like many in the country- automated, no one is needed to man the lighthouse. It's an interesting piece of American history, and there's also military history there as well. It's the gateway into the western United States. If you ever have the chance, I strongly urge that you visit.

Even though I am a local, I find I meet people from all over the world at this park. Not only is the lighthouse beautiful, but it offers unparalleled views of the Pacific Ocean, San Diego Bay, the downtown San Diego skyline, Coronado, and on a clear day, Mexico.

*Old Point Loma Lighthouse. Photo copyright wendymacblogs.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home