Children, cooking, marriage, random stuff, funny stuff, photography, dogs, cats, depression... Whatever you're looking for, you might find it here! The modern 5 and dime.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Safety Sense

This week I started working on a new badge project for the Girl Scouts. Their topic is Safety, and the badge includes everything from street safety to fire safety to first aid. It's a huge job, and I'm admittedly under-educated in this arena. I was actually shocked when I started going through all of the information for the different sections of the badge, to find how much I didn't know.

I've slowly started putting together some child-friendly kits for them to work on, we're going to have the girls build their own first aid kits, and I'm looking to take the girls to a fire station or a police station for a tour. Our troop first-aider will do a presentation on first aid.

The aim is to help the girls, even at this age, become better prepared with dealing with life's emergencies.

Then I ran across this article... which talks about a 9-year-old boy who saved his family's life, through some very quick thinking and lots of maturity.

To say I was impressed is an understatement. I think back to when I was 9. Yes, I was a scout, and I was still playing with Barbie dolls, and my biggest memories of being 9 are of getting glasses, going to Sea World on my birthday, and well, that's about it. I can't imagine being 9 and doing what this boy has done.

A true hero, what a good kid. I only hope my lessons for my scouts can give them a good start in learning safety sense.

*Thanks to http://www.bloggingbaby.com/ and Roger Sinasohn for linking to the article.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home