Children, cooking, marriage, random stuff, funny stuff, photography, dogs, cats, depression... Whatever you're looking for, you might find it here! The modern 5 and dime.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Kona got a boo-boo

This weekend I was on the phone with my sister when I noticed blood on my kitchen floor.

Maybe most people would freak out. Normally, I would freak out. But you see, when we have a new puppy in the house, I figure anything is possible. It wasn't a lot of blood, just a couple of drops. I figured she lost a tooth, or she cut herself, or the dogs were just playing too hard together. They both were running around and happy, so I didn't give it a second thought.

Until I was on the couch falling asleep. You know that terrific moment after a long day when you can drift off to sleep? You don't have anything else you need to do right then other than relax? Yeah, that's when Kona jumped on my lap.

And had an actively bleeding toenail.

After much fussing, we determined the bleeding had been going for a long time and would not stop, plus it was finally grossing me out.

We took Kona to the emergency vet, where I braced myself for the worst. Even after they said it was a minor wound, I was preparing for the worst- a long night, a huge bill, and thanking goodness for the pet insurance policy we just took out on the pets a few weeks ago. Even when they said they had 3 major emergencies come in, I was prepared to be in their for the long haul.

Amazingly, an hour and a half later and only $84, Kona was ready to go home. His little doggy bandage made him limp, but by the time the bandage came off, he was much better. The nail is significantly short (it's barely there, it nipped the quick of the nail), but otherwise doing well.

And the puppy? This morning I woke up to find she had escaped from her confinement (where she is kept in the kitchen when she is not being supervised) and had gotten into the cat litter and there was a combination of cat poop and dog poop all over the house.

I still did not freak out. Amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home