Children, cooking, marriage, random stuff, funny stuff, photography, dogs, cats, depression... Whatever you're looking for, you might find it here! The modern 5 and dime.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Happy Feet


We went to see "Happy Feet". Hubby, daughter, and myself. My daughter is 8, and it was this or "Santa Clause 3". I jumped at the chance for an out.

I had laughed uproariously at the previews for "Happy Feet".

Unfortunately, the first half of the movie, the only laughs are directly from the trailers. The first half was INSUFFERABLY horrible. From the get-go, when Nicole Kidman's character Norma Jean begins singing, I'm thinking "Oh, crap."

But then, something amazing happens. In the middle of the movie, when I think I can barely tolerate any more- it becomes a frickin' FANTASTIC movie.

This movie is a kid's movie with something incredibly important to say. No, it's not the "flu facts" from the commercials you've probably seen.

Who knew?! I sure didn't. I've gotten so fed up with spoilers in movie reviews that if it's a movie I know I'm going to see, I skip the reviews until after I've seen it.

So I won't spoil anything here except for this- there is a cameo by Steve Irwin, and I missed it because I didn't know it was coming. It was only when the credits were rolling that my husband told me about it.

If you go see it, if you feel like you're going to pull a Joel Seigel and storm out- don't. Give it a chance. I was really, really impressed.

As for the kid's point of view, there were several moments where my 8-year-old got so scared she buried her head in my arm and didn't come up for air. There were parts she didn't understand, and probably the movie's message is lost on her. But it doesn't matter- she loved the movie, she laughed out loud many times, and was extremely happy that we took her.

If you can believe it, and I can- this flick beat out James Bond this weekend. You go, Mumble.

Movie website here
*Photo is a download from the movie website as referenced above. Lovelace, my favorite Penguin- in real life and on screen- a Rockhopper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home