Children, cooking, marriage, random stuff, funny stuff, photography, dogs, cats, depression... Whatever you're looking for, you might find it here! The modern 5 and dime.

Friday, June 09, 2006

The end of an era

I have been a girl scout leader for 3 years. The very first day of Kindergarten way back when, I turned around and introduced myself to the woman who became my co-leader. I told her that very first day that I wanted to start a girl scout troop. And so it began!

Tonight is my last meeting with the group of girls and parents who have become like family to me. We have moved recently, and we are joining a troop out here that was in danger of extinction. As Girl Scouts say, "Make new friends, but keep the old".

I'm not sure if I'll realize tonight that I won't get to see these kids every 2 weeks- my daughter sure is sad about missing her friends- but I know one thing is for certain- I will never forget my time with them, and I am especially grateful to Co-Leader for being such a terrific friend.

Will I be sad tonight that there will be no more "Thank you, Miss Wendy", "I made this for you, Miss Wendy", "Guess what I did today, Miss Wendy", a sweet hug from a sweet little girl, or will I just be rejoicing that summer vacation means a few months of no Girl Scout planning, reservations, reminding, shopping, organizing, pleading, reminding again, and being on the receiving end of complaints?

I'm not sure yet. But, here's to you, Girl Scouts, everywhere.

* Photo courtesy of http://www.girlscouts.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home